U.S. Pet Industry Spending Figures & Future Outlook
The following spending statistics are gathered by APPA from various market reseach sources and are not included in the organization's bi-annual National Pet Owners Survey.
Total U.S. Pet Industry Expenditures
2015 $60.59 Estimated
2014 $58.04 Actual
Estimated 2015 Sales within the U.S. Market
For 2015, it estimated that $60.59 billion will be spent on our pets in the U.S.
Food $23.04 billion
Supplies/OTC Medicine $14.39 billion
Vet Care $15.73 billion
Live animal purchases $2.19 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding $5.24 billion
Actual Sales within the U.S. Market in 2014
In 2014, $58.04 billion was spent on our pets in the U.S.
Food $22.26 billion
Supplies/OTC Medicine $13.75 billion
Vet Care $15.04 billion
Live animal purchases $2.15 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding $4.84 billion
Data sources and notes
1. Food total is based on PFI research consultant Davenport Co, Packaged Facts Pet Food in the U.S. 2013-2018, and IBISWorld 2014 Industry Report, and Fountain Agricounsel 2013-2014 Situation Analysis Report, BCC 2014 Report on Pet Care Products and Services
2. Supplies based on APPA historical, BCC Research-The Pet Industry, Fountain Agricounsel 2013-2014 Situation Analysis, Pet Product News, Packaged Facts U.S. Pet Market Outlook 2014-2015, IBISWorld Industry Report Pet Stores in the US and Cleveland Research 2015 Forecast.
3. Veterinary care includes routine vet care and is based on AVMA, Newsweek, Brakke Consulting, Bain & Co, Fountain Agricounsel 2013-2014 Situation Analysis Report, Packaged Facts Pet Market Outlook 2013-2014 and Bayer Veterinary Care Usage Study 2012
4. Live Animal purchases based on APPA, AVMA, Barron's Research, Fountain Agricounsel, Packaged Facts Pet Population and Ownership Trends and Euromonitor estimates
5. Other Services based on Packaged Facts, LA Times, APPA State of the Industry Report, Newsweek, Dillon Media Trends Report, IBISWorld and Smallbiztrends.com data
6. Other Services include grooming, boarding, training, pet sitting, pet exercise, miscellaneous
7. Pet insurance figures are included in Veterinary Care
2015-2016 APPA National Pet Owners Survey Statistics: Pet Ownership & Annual Expenses
- According to the 2015-2016 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, 65% of U.S. households own a pet, which equates to 79.7 millions homes
- In 1988, the first year the survey was conducted, 56% of U.S. households owned a pet.
Breakdown of pet ownership in the U.S. according to the 2015-2016 APPA National Pet Owners Survey
Number of U.S. Households that Own a Pet (millions)
Freshwater Fish 12.3
Saltwater Fish 1.3
Small Animal 5.4
Total Number of Pets Owned in the U.S. (millions)
Freshwater Fish 95.5
Saltwater Fish 9.5
Small Animal 12.4
According to the 2015-2016 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, basic annual expenses for dog and cat owners in dollars include:
Surgical Vet Visits $551 $398
Routine Vet $235 $196
Food $269 $246
Food Treats $61 $51
Kennel Boarding $333 $130
Vitamins $62 $33
Groomer/Grooming Aids $83 $43
Toys $47 $28
**Note: APPA does not ask Survey Participants how much in total they spend on their dog or cats annually. The expenses listed above are not all inclusive and each category was asked separately of the survey participant.