U.S. Pet Industry Spending Figures & Future Outlook
The following spending statistics are gathered by APPA from various market reseach sources and are not included in the organization's bi-annual National Pet Owners Survey.
Total U.S. Pet Industry Expenditures
2013 $55.53 Estimate
2012 $53.33 Actual
Estimated 2013 Sales within the U.S. Market
For 2013, it estimated that $55.53 billion will be spent on our pets in the U.S.
Food $21.26 billion
Supplies/OTC Medicine $13.21 billion
Vet Care $14.21 billion
Live animal purchases $2.31 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding $4.54 billion
Actual Sales within the U.S. Market in 2012
In 2012, $53.33 billion was spent on our pets in the U.S.
Food $20.64 billion
Supplies/OTC Medicine $12.65 billion
Vet Care $13.67 billion
Live animal purchases $2.21 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding $4.16 billion
Data sources and notes
1. Food total is based on PFI research consultant Davenport Co, BCC, Inc plus Packaged Facts U.S. Pet Market Outlook 2011-2012, and IBISWorld 2012 Pet Food Analysis, Dillon Media February, 2012 trends report and Fountain Agricounsel 2011 - 2012 Situation Analysis Report, BCC 2011 Report on Pet Care Products and Services
2. Food category includes treats.
3. Supplies based on APPA historical, BCC Research-The Pet Industry, Fountain Agricounsel 2011 - 2012 Situation Analysis, Dillon, Mercanti Group, Pet Product News, Packaged Facts, Dillon Media Pet Industry 2012 Strategic Outlook, IBISWorld Pet Store Analysis 2012.
4. Veterinary care includes routine vet care/prescription meds. It does not include surgical veterinary care.
5. Veterinary care is based on AVMA, Newsweek, Brakke Consulting, Bain & Co, Fountain Agricounsel 2011-12 Situation Analysis Report, Dillon Media Pet Industry 2012 Strategic Outlook, Packaged Facts Pet Market Outlook 2011-12 and Bayer Veterinary Care Usage Study 2011.
6. Live Animal purchases based on APPA, Barron's Research, Fountain Agricounsel, Franchise Magazine and Euromonitor estimates
7. Other Services based on Packaged Facts estimates, LA Times, APPAState of the Industry Report, Newsweek, Dillon Media Trends Report, IBISWorld and Smallbiztrends.com data
8. Other Services include grooming, boarding, training, pet sitting, miscellaneous
9. Pet insurance figures are included in Veterinary Care
APPA National Pet Owners Survey Statistics: Pet Ownership & Annual Expenses
- According to the 2011-2012 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, 62% of U.S. households own a pet, which equates to 72.9 millions homes
- In 1988, the first year the survey was conducted, 56% of U.S. households owned a pet as compared to 62% in 2008
Breakdown of pet ownership in the U.S. according to the 2011-2012 APPA National Pet Owners Survey
Number of U.S. Households that Own a Pet (millions)
Freshwater Fish 11.9
Saltwater Fish 0.7
Small Animal 5.0
Total Number of Pets Owned in the U.S. (millions)
Freshwater Fish 151.1
Saltwater Fish 8.61
Small Animal 16.0
According to the 2011-2012 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, basic annual expenses for dog and cat owners in dollars include:
Surgical Vet Visits $407 $425
Routine Vet $248 $219
Food $254 $220
Kennel Boarding $274 $166
Vitamins $95 $43
Travel Expenses $78 $48
Groomer/Grooming Aids $73 $34
Food Treats $70 $41
Toys $43 $21
**Note: APPA does not ask Survey Participants how much in total they spend on their dog or cats annually. The expenses listed above are not all inclusive and each category was asked separately of the survey participant.