Press Releases: Article Detail
June 17, 2004
Tierra Bonaldi / Julie Rowe
The Impetus Agency
firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Safety First This October Adopt-A-Dog Month
-APPA Releases Top Safety Product Information for New Pet Owners-
GREENWICH, CT, June 17, 2004 - When a family welcomes home a new dog, it is natural to plan for the essentials- food, a bed, a water dish, a leash and tag and perhaps a crate. But something many new pet owners may overlook is the safety of their new pet.
October is American Humane's Adopt–A–Dog Month and ASPCA's Adopt-A-Shelter Dog Month. The American Pet Products Association (APPA) encourages people to consider adopting a dog and enjoy the many benefits of pet ownership. APPA is also offering convenient ways to keep those pets safe.
"Dogs provide so much joy and can offer us a range of health benefits from stress relief to lowering blood pressure," said Bob Vetere, managing director of APPA. "With advances in pet products and services, we can now help extend their lives as well."
In honor of adopt-a-dog month and to assist new and current pet owners in keeping their pets safe, APPA has released a list of some of the hottest new safety products for dogs:
APPA also encourages new pet owners to schedule routine visits with a veterinarian and educate themselves on the proper care and handling of pets.
- One of the best ways to keep track of your pet is with the PetMinder. This two-piece electronic pet security system notifies you almost immediately if your pet has left his protective area. You can check out the PetMinder system at www.PetMinder.US.
- Another way to keep track of your pet is with Miracle Beam's new I.D. TagLite. This I.D. system makes your pet more visible at night and allows you to spot him up to a mile away. The tag allows you to put the I.D. label on the back for proper identification. www.miraclebeam.com
- Having identification for your pet isn't the only thing you need to keep him safe. It's a good idea to have a pet first aid kit on hand as well. Try Creative Pet Products' First Aid Kits for dogs and cats- Bow Ow and Meow Ow. These convenient kits include tools for almost any type of accident as well as a practical handbook and lifetime membership to the Roam to Home Pet Return Program which will help you locate your pet if he is ever lost in the United States or Canada. They also make kits for horses and for travel. www.petfirstaidkits.com
- Medi-Pet also makes pet first aid kits, www.medipetcom.
- Petkin makes medicine filled cotton swabs for everything from alleviating itching, pain and bleeding, to ear mite bite relief. www.petkin.com
- Of course you need proper identification for your new dog. FasTags lets you make your own ID tag with shrink tags in 30 different designs. www.fastags.com
- For those clever dogs that figure out how to open doors, KidCo makes a door lever lock. This easy-to-install lock requires no tools and restricts pets in or out of the home. KidCo also makes Gateway To Go, a fold-up, pressure mounted, travel safety gate ideal for temporary situations. It installs in minutes and uses non-skid, non-marking mounting pads. www.kidco.com
- For eye protection both from the sun and from flying articles for dogs that love sticking their heads out of car windows, try Doggles- goggles for dogs. These goggles have polycarbonate (shatterproof) lens with 100 percent UV protection and are great for protecting your dog's eyes from wind and debris.www.doggles.com
- When it comes to travel, you should always make sure your pet is properly secured. Try PetBuckle Safety Systems. The product comes with an adjustable harness that attaches to any seat belt and is designed not to choke or cinch into the pet's abdomen area under stress. www.petbuckle.com
- Celltei has just introduced the 2005 Active Pak-o-Pet, a pet carrier that also converts into a suitcase and car seat booster. This carrier comes with a climate controlled compartment for your pet, a water feeder holder, storage areas for pet necessities as well as detachable backpack and shoulder straps. www.celltei.com
- PetsBook is a great way to keep your pet's records all in one place, especially while traveling. Similar in appearance to a passport, this book provides a convenient reference to important information for you and pet sitters, www.petsbook.com
Founded in 1958, the American Pet Products Association is the nationís leading not-for-profit trade organization serving the interests of the pet product industry and educating the public on the many joys and health benefits associated with pet ownership. APPAís membership consists of over 750 companies, which include both small businesses, as well as the nationís leading pet product companies.