Press Releases: Article Detail
February 1, 2005
Tierra Bonaldi / Julie Rowe
The Impetus Agency
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Industry Experts Take a Bite Out of Poor Dental Care This February National Pet Dental Health Month
- APPA Offers Pet Dental Care Tips -
GREENWICH, CT, September 9, 2004 - Pets need dental care too and this February an increasing number of pet owners are taking the initiative of in-home care. According to the American Pet Products Association (APPA), 15 percent of dog owners get veterinarian dental care for their dogs, 5 percent more than in 1998, while 28 percent of all dog owners own a toothbrush for their dogs.
To assist pet owners, pet product manufacturers are introducing an increasing number of products to make dental health care easy to manage for pet owners.
"Not brushing your pets' teeth is a much bigger deal than just yellow teeth or bad breath," said Bob Vetere, COO and managing director of APPA. "It can lead to serious health problems and should be viewed as important as taking care of our own teeth."
In honor of pet dental health month, APPA is offering products and tips that will help freshen breath and clean your pet's teeth all in the comfort of your own home.
- Central Garden & Pet makes dental care for your dogs easier with their all-natural Nutri Dent Edible Dental Brush Chews. Shaped like toothbrushes, these green chews clean teeth, remove plaque and tartar, and freshen dogs' breath all while simply chewing on a treat. www.nylabone.com
- To give your small dog fresh breath while allowing it to play, try Happy Dog Toys' Mini Tastems. These mint flavored tennis balls allow your pet to get some exercise as well as fresh breath. www.happydogtoys.com
- Another treat for dogs that also freshens breath and helps with dental care is Pup-rrr-Mint Sticks by Marketing and Creative Sales, Inc. This 'two treats in one' product offers a dental care outer layer with a breath freshening center. While high in protein and low in fat, your pet is sure to love the taste as much as you will love its fresh breath! www.talktomepet.com
- Cats can get healthy teeth and fresh breath as well with Petstage's Crunchy Chew Sticks. These chew sticks help clean your cat's teeth while she chews, crunches and plays! A thin stick shape great for biting and cleaning back teeth also helps exercise jaw muscles and reduce jaw muscle atrophy in senior cats. www.petstages.com
- For a quick and healthy cleaning, try Petkin's Liquid-Filled Tooth Swabs. These swabs provide a simple way to clean your pet's teeth and gums while freshening breath. www.petkin.com
- Another quick and easy way to clean your pet's teeth is with Toothwipes by Petkin. These wipes provide a simple way to keep pet's teeth and gums clean and healthy everyday. Baking Soda enriched formula helps fight plaque and gum disease and leaves your pet's breath minty fresh. www.petkin.com
- All pets drink water so, what better place to get fresh breath than their water bowl? Inobys PetFirst Oral Care Liquid will provide your dog with fresher breath, noticeably cleaner teeth, and healthier gums in as little as 2 weeks. Simply add the appropriate amount to your pet's water dish every time you freshen it, and see improvements before your eyes. 541.864.2255
- For bad breath, try Chomp's Yip Yap breath mints for dogs and Pit'r Pat mints for cats. These healthy mints, which come in the shape of bones or fish, banish even the worst pet breath. www.chompinc.com
- Another way to ensure your pet's dental health is with Planet Dog's Orbee-Tuff® Nut & Bolt of Gum Massage. Made from super durable Orbee-Tuff® material, the Nut & Bolt of Gum Massage has the appearance of just that: a nut and bolt. 2 products in 1, the Nut & Bolt are durable, peppermint scented, buoyant, and bouncy fetch toys. The bolt itself with its threads acts as a gum massager as the dog chews and chews. www.planetdog.com
- Virbac's Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpastes & Toothbrushes are professional quality dental products that help insure the health and vitality of your pet, and are specifically designed to be safe and effective. www.virbaccorp.com
- To clean both sides of your pet's teeth at once, try Petosan's Twin-Head Dental Brush. With Petosan the inside surface is adequately and easily cleaned simultaneously with the outside. Petosan helps you clean the important areas between the gum line and the teeth in an easy and efficient operation. www.petosan.com
- For continuous cleaning action try Doggie Dentist by Pet Zone. This battery-powered toothbrush for dogs continues cleaning even if your pet bites down on the toothbrush. www.petzone.com
Some additional tips for pet dental care from APPA include:
- Introduce a brushing program to pets gradually. Avoid over-restraining your pet and keep brushing sessions short.
- Feed your pet specially formulated foods with the Seal of Acceptance from the Veterinary Oral Health Council, which appears on products that meet defined standards for plaque and tartar control in dogs and cats.
- Do not use toothpaste formulated for humans, which can cause stomach upset.
- Give your pet appropriate toys to prevent teeth fractures.
- Schedule regular veterinary checkups to ensure that your veterinarian can monitor the progress of your pet's dental health.
Founded in 1958, the American Pet Products Association is the nation’s leading not-for-profit trade organization serving the interests of the pet product industry and educating the public on the many joys and health benefits associated with pet ownership. APPA’s membership consists of over 750 companies, which include both small businesses, as well as the nation’s leading pet product companies.